Monday, August 20, 2007

Trip to England

Travel to Europe and in this case to UK can bring you back to the future. smile At least in London with their city maut, high petrol prices, and space problems, new solutions are tested to solve such problems. smile



This is especially for Tina: I know for some people it seems strange that somebody has strange hair: too long and too uncontrolled. smile But when I was strolling through Kensington in London one evening, a women, her boyfriend ( i suppose), and her daughter were passing me, and then suddenly the women adreessed me: "Excuse me". I was surprised and turned around: "Yes?", and she responded: "I like your hair!" I was really surprised and I might got red in my face and I just said thank you. I was too surprised to say more.

I am used to the fact, that if you pass people and they like your clothes or so, they will tell you, but that somebody does the same about somebody others hairstyle was new for me.

Furthermore, on my flight back from Amsterdam to Washington, I was upgraded to World business class. At one point during the flight the stewardess came to me and apologized for interupting, but she was asked by some passengers to find out if I would be a Rock Star. I smiled, but I had to aknowledge that I am a scientist and not a Rock Star. smile Life can be curious.


(a supposed Rock Star's smile)

As I was in England, I also visited Stanislav in Oxford. He has now two children, a little boy and a newborn little girl. They are cute. As it was my first time in Oxford, Stanislav showed me around in Oxford and I learned something new:

The colleges of Oxford university were used as archetype for Hogwards castle in the Harry Potter series.
Of course, I had to make a visit to the Museum of Natural History in Oxford and I could not avoid to make a foto of the Dodo:



And furthermore I had to pay my tribute to Tolkien and to visit his Tolkiens grave:





7 comments:

Beth! said...

but Jochen, you ARE a "rock star", in the sense that you are an admirable studier of the geo :)

Emily and Jochen said...

Hi Beth, you are right, but there are some persons out in the world who have always a cool statement on their lips smile and others who know about a cool statement when a situation is over. smile
I belong to the last group. smile

Anonymous said...

Hi Jochen,
I did not know, that England was so far north, that the streets were oriented vertically. Never stop learning....

Anonymous said...

Hey Jochen,
I admit you look much better on your VIP picture. When have you been at the Amsterdam airport? I was there three times in the last month. Maybe we just missed each other.

Emily and Jochen said...

Hi Tina,
I think I was at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam at the 4/5th and the 18th of August. smile
But I do not know exactly when I will next visit this airport, probably on my flight home at Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Shit, I was there on August 18th, too. Wenn ich das gewusst haette....

Emily and Jochen said...

Wissenschafter sind irgendwie weltreisende. smile
Mein Freund Michl und ich haben uns auch immer in der Luft zugewunken, da er meistens auf dem Weg von Nordamerika nach europa war, wenn ich in die entgegengesetzte Richtung geflogen bin. smile